1. *Governor Charlie – Despite the hoof bruise and trip to Rood and Riddle he has everything I look for in a Derby horse. He’s been in battles, he’s blown them away, he’s lightly raced, and he keeps improving. He has decent speed which should be a plus in the Derby this year. He’s been my horse the whole way hopefully he can see his way through.
2. *Revolutionary – Has Borel, has guts, has talent, very dangerous. The thing with him is at least they won’t have to worry about a post. He’ll be tough, hopefully he gets a nice trip. I feel with Borel up he’ll likely go off as post time favorite or second choice.
3. *Normandy Invasion – Seems to only be getting better, should run well if he gets the right trip. He was the best horse in the Wood but caught traffic in and out of the turn and a slow pace to run at. From all account he has been outworking everyone at Churchill Downs this past week. He looks great and is moving great with high energy. Maybe he can finally get a decent trip.
4. *Orb – Ran against a slow pace in the FL Derby to beat nice horses, should be prime come Derby day. Has the right connections to run big and keep making forward progression. I can envision him being a little closer to the pace than usual but it’s hard to say. He is in the hands of one of the best trainers ever, it’s all wait and see.
5. *Itsmyluckyday – Nice horse, regressed last out should run better in the Derby. Has legitimate speed to sit just off the top flight. So long as he gets 1 ¼ he should put in a great effort.
6. * Vyjack – Ran well in Wood despite mucus build up. Slow work recently, but could be what he needs to get back to 100% health. He seems to be looking great and with a nice set-up he can also sit just off the top flight of horses and have a run if he gets 1 ¼ …..sort of like Itsmyluckyday but with less natural speed.
7. *Overanalyze – Ark win was good but beat nobody in the process. He was the only horse in the race who was able to kick away from the pack and looked nice doing it. Now we just have to wait and see how he looks leading up to the race. Hard to gauge him.
8. *Verrazano – Weak ML favorite, perfect setup in the Wood and still barely won. $$$-eater written all over this horse. Another horse who looks unlikely to want a 1 ¼.
9. (10) Mylute – Decent kick in the LA Derby, but couldn’t pass winner. Still, he has a nice shot to run well if the pace quickens and he’s still improving. All depends on how much he’s progressed.
10. ^Goldencents – Back on the list this week. He has a great amount of speed, but if he runs closing fractions like he did in the SA Derby he has zero chance, Krigger must control him.
() Previous Rank