Choosing the right blanket for your horse can be a daunting task. It’s important to get the measurements right to ensure that the blanket fits properly and will provide the necessary protection for your horse. Having the right measurements can also help you save time and money when it comes to finding the perfect blanket for your horse. In this article, we’ll discuss how to measure for a horse blanket and the important factors to consider when making your purchase.
Steps to Take Before Measuring
Before you measure for a horse blanket, there are a few steps you should take to prepare:
- Determine the Purpose: First, you should determine what type of blanket you need. Is it for warmth, protection from the elements, or a combination of both?
- Choose a Style: Once you have determined the purpose of the blanket, you can then choose a style. For instance, a turnout blanket is designed to keep your horse warm and dry in the elements, while a stable blanket is designed to provide warmth without the need to be waterproof.
- Choose a Fabric: You should also consider the type of fabric for your blanket. Cotton and polyester are two of the most common fabrics used for horse blankets. Each has its own advantages, such as breathability and waterproofing.
Measuring Your Horse for a Blanket
Once you have determined the purpose, style, and fabric of the blanket, you can then measure your horse for the perfect fit. Here are the steps to take:
- Measure the Neck: To measure the neck, you will need to measure from the base of the neck to the withers. This is the point where the neck and the shoulder meet.
- Measure the Girth: The girth is the area of the body that wraps around the horse’s chest. To measure the girth, you will need to measure from one side of the horse’s body to the other.
- Measure the Length: The length of the blanket should extend from the withers to the tail. You should measure the horse from the withers to the tail for the most accurate measurement.
Other Factors to Consider
In addition to taking the measurements of the horse, there are other factors to consider when choosing a blanket for your horse. Here are a few:
- Climate: The climate in your area should also be taken into account when choosing a blanket. If you live in an area with colder winters, you should look for a thicker blanket that will provide more warmth.
- Durability: Durability is also an important factor to consider. Look for a blanket that is made of durable material and has reinforced stitching, as this will ensure that it will last longer.
- Fit: You should also make sure that the blanket fits properly. The blanket should not be too tight or too loose, as this can cause discomfort for your horse.
Tips for Choosing the Right Blanket
Once you have taken all of the necessary measurements and considered the above factors, you can then choose the perfect blanket for your horse. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Do Your Research: Before making a purchase, it’s important to do your research. Read customer reviews and compare prices to ensure you are getting the best deal.
- Try Before You Buy: If possible, try the blanket on your horse before purchasing. This will ensure that the blanket fits properly and will provide the protection your horse needs.
- Check the Warranty: Many manufacturers offer warranties on their products. Make sure to check the warranty before making your purchase, as this can save you money in the long run.
Cleaning and Storing a Horse Blanket
Once you have chosen the perfect blanket for your horse, it’s important to take proper care of it. Here are some tips for cleaning and storing a horse blanket:
- Clean Regularly: Your blanket should be cleaned regularly to ensure it remains in good condition. Use a gentle detergent and lukewarm water to clean the blanket, and hang it to dry.
- Store Properly: It’s important to store the blanket properly when not in use. Hang the blanket in a cool, dry place and make sure it is away from direct sunlight.
- Check for Damage: You should also check the blanket for any signs of damage or wear. If there are any tears or worn areas, it’s best to replace the blanket.
Choosing the right blanket for your horse is an important decision. Taking the necessary measurements and considering the factors discussed above can help you find the perfect blanket for your horse. Remember to do your research, try before you buy, and check the warranty before making your purchase. Lastly, make sure to clean and store the blanket properly to ensure it lasts for years to come.
- What is the best fabric for a horse blanket? The best fabric for a horse blanket will depend on your needs and the climate in your area. Cotton and polyester are two of the most common fabrics used for horse blankets, as they are both breathable and durable.
- How often should a horse blanket be cleaned? Your horse’s blanket should be cleaned regularly to ensure it remains in good condition. Depending on how often it is used, the blanket should be cleaned at least once a month.
- How do I store a horse blanket? You should store the blanket in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Hang the blanket in a well-ventilated area and make sure it is away from any heat sources.