The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a nation renowned for its commitment to horse racing and breeding. With a long history of equestrian activities, the UAE is home to some of the world’s most impressive stables and horse farms. But just how many horses are there in the UAE? In this article, we’ll look at the various types of horses in the UAE and explore the current population figures.
History of Horse Breeding in the UAE
The UAE has a long and proud tradition of horse breeding, going back centuries. Arabian horses were bred by Bedouin tribes in the region, and they continue to be one of the most popular breeds in the UAE today. The country is also well-known for its Endurance Racing, which has been a part of the country’s culture for centuries.
Types of Horses in the UAE
The UAE is home to a wide variety of horse breeds, from purebred Arabians to Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses, and more. Here are some of the most popular breeds in the UAE:
- Arabian – The Arabian is one of the oldest horse breeds in the world, and it is still one of the most popular in the UAE. Arabians are known for their intelligence, beauty, and strength.
- Thoroughbred – Thoroughbreds, also known as “hot bloods”, are the most popular breed for racing in the UAE. They are known for their speed and agility.
- Quarter Horse – Quarter Horses are another popular breed in the UAE, known for their versatility and strength. They are often used for ranch work, racing, and show jumping.
- Paint – Paints are a popular breed in the UAE, known for their colorful coats and friendly personalities. They are often used for horse shows and dressage competitions.
- Appaloosa – Appaloosas are an American breed that has become popular in the UAE in recent years. They are known for their unique spotted coats and are often used for endurance racing.
Horse Farms in the UAE
The UAE is home to some of the world’s most impressive horse farms, many of which specialize in breeding and training specific breeds. Some of the most well-known horse farms in the UAE include the Al Nahyan Racing Stables, the Al Maktoum Racing Stables, and the Al Rahba Racing Stables.
Horse Racing in the UAE
Horse racing is a major part of the UAE’s culture, with some of the biggest races in the world taking place in the country. The UAE has two main racing circuits, the Dubai World Cup and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both of which attract top jockeys and trainers from around the world.
Horse Shows in the UAE
The UAE is home to some of the world’s most prestigious equestrian events, including the Dubai International Horse Show, the Abu Dhabi International Horse Show, and the Al Ain International Horse Show. These events attract riders from all over the world and showcase some of the best horses in the region.
Horse Riding in the UAE
Horse riding is another popular activity in the UAE, with many people using horses as a way to explore the country’s natural beauty. There are a number of riding trails and stables in the UAE, where people can go for guided rides or rent horses for the day.
Number of Horses in the UAE
According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, there were an estimated 63,000 horses in the UAE in 2019. This number has increased over the years as the country’s horse breeding and racing industry has grown.
The UAE is home to some of the world’s most impressive horse farms and racing circuits, and the country is home to an estimated 63,000 horses. From Arabian horses to Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses, the UAE is a great place to experience the beauty of the equestrian lifestyle.